The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is offering scholarships to foreign graduates from developed and newly industrialised countries with at least two years' professional experience to pursue postgraduate or Master's degree at a state or state-recognised German university. In some exceptional cases applicants may be offered scholarships to study a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master's/PhD) in Germany.
Fields of Study
There are various deadlines depending on the course of study. Check scholarship brochure or the website
of your chosen study programme.
Who can apply?
- The programme is open to graduates with at least two years' professional experience.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 850 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
Applications must be submitted in German or English. Applicants may submit up to two Master`s courses.
Complete an online DAAD application form at:
Documents and links
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.