HUNGARY: HUNGARIAN GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS FOR SOUTH AFRICAN STUDENTS
An agreement has been signed between the Government of South Africa and the Hungarian Government offering 100 scholarships to South African students to study at participating public university in Hungary. Most of the available courses are taught in English. Students applying for studies conducted in Hungarian will be required to do a one-year preparatory course before commencing with their degree studies.
The application process is currently open and closes strictly on 5 March 2017.
Who can apply?
- South African citizens in good health, with a strong academic record (minimum average of 60%).
- Candidates with an interest in studying in Hungary and demonstrate commitment to the development of South Africa.
- Candidates must be available to study in Hungary from September 2017.
- All applicants must meet the entry criteria for their selected programme in Hungary.
- All applicants must meet the minimum academic requirement for entry into a similar programme at a South African university.
Fields of Study
Bachelors: natural sciences and sustainable environment, engineering and information technology, agricultural science and food science.
Masters: natural sciences (especially biotechnology, bioenergetics and renewable energy), engineering (especially mining engineering, information technology); economics, business and management studies and tourism; agricultural science and food science; physical education and coaching, and adult education, and human resources development; international relations and European studies; and Hungarian language studies.
PhD: All fields of study.
A list of available courses and institutions is available here
Information about studying and living in Hungary is available here
Application process for South African Applicants
The application process is two-fold and both applications must be submitted in order to be considered:
- Complete the DHET application form, available to download here and email only the completed and signed form to email@example.com.
- Complete their application and upload all supporting documents online on the Tempus Public Foundation website on www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu. (open from end of January).
Candidates applying for programmes taught in Hungarian need to complete a one year language preparatory course and should apply for the language course only, not for the degree. Applications for the degree programme will be done later, if admitted.
PHD applicants are required to visit this website before they submit their application. The website provides information about the Hungarian doctoral schools, available research field and research topics as well as the supervisors of the doctoral students. Thesis topic proposals are also available here.
Documents and links