SOUTH AFRICA: QUEEN ELIZABETH COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS
The Commonwealth has offered four scholarships for 2020 for two-year research Master's programmes
at Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) affiliated universities in South Africa. Citizens of
Commonwealth countries other than South Africa are eligible to apply.
South African university qualifications are internationally recognised. All of South Africa's universities
welcome international students and they have a dedicated international office to support the students.
Fields of study
South Africa's universities present a wide variety of academic and research opportunities at well-
resourced, multi-cultural campuses, as well as numerous opportunities for extra-curricular activities.
Please see a list of applicable subjects at: https://www.acu.ac.uk/scholarships/queen-elizabeth-
commonwealth-scholarships/south-africa.The scholarships are only tenable in the subjects listed for each university.
Who can apply?
Applicants will only be considered if they fulfil the following criteria:
- citizen of, and reside permanently in a Commonwealth country (except South Africa);
- not resident permanently in South Africa for reasons other than study purposes;
- apply for the identified study programme at the chosen university in South Africa on a full-time basis;
- have performed exceptionally well in their previous studies;
- hold an Honours degree or a four-year degree equivalent to NQF 8 on the South African National
- meet the minimum entry criteria of the proposed course of study;
- an academic background aligned to the proposed field of study;
- demonstrate a strong motivation for their application;
- understand and promote the values and objectives of the Commonwealth.
* Applicants who have previously studied in South Africa are eligible to apply.
Applicants must apply for their chosen course directly with the university. The application process may
require you to obtain a certificate of equivalence from the South African Qualifications Authority
Submit an online application at: https://www.acu.ac.uk/scholarships/queen-elizabeth-commonwealth-
Make sure that you have the following documentation to upload to your application:
• High school certificate
• Undergraduate transcript (and graduation certificate)
• Two references – preferably academic
• Scan of passport or national ID card
• Proof of English language ability if English is not your first language
Incomplete applications, late applications and those submitted without all supporting documents will
not be considered.
Submit a separate application for admission to your chosen course. Candidates interested to apply for
university admission at North-West University, University of Pretoria, Rhodes University, Stellenbosch
University and University of the Witwatersrand, must submit an application for university admission at
the same time as the scholarship.
The application deadline is 26 June 2019.
Documents and links
- For South Africa: https://www.acu.ac.uk/scholarships/queen-elizabeth-commonwealth-
- Main page: https://www.acu.ac.uk/scholarships/queen-elizabeth-commonwealth-scholarships/
Queries and questions may be sent by email at: email@example.com
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are
responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa. If there are any
discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details
provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education