The Government of the People's Republic of China, through co-sponsorship with UNESCO, is offering fellowships for advanced studies at undergraduate and postgraduate levels for the academic year 2018-19. The Fellowship Programme is aimed at promoting human resource development, capacity building in developing countries and to enhance international exchange in the fields of education, culture, communication, science and technology and friendship globally. Developing UNESCO Member States in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Europe and Arab region are eligible to participate on the Programme.
75 fellowships are available for advanced studies at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Of the 75 available scholarships, 20 are for candidates recommended by the Teacher Training Institutions supported by UNESCO-China Fund-in-Trust (CFIT) Project in African countries, to undertake an Advanced Training Programme for pre-and in-service teachers, teacher educators and trainers at East China Normal University.
Who can apply?
Applicants must meet the following general criteria:
- • Applicants for the General Scholar Programme must not be more than 45 years old and must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study;
- • Applicants for the Senior Scholar Programmes must hold a Master's degree or be an Associate Professor or above and must not be more than 50 years old;
- • English proficiency is required;
- • Be in good health, both mentally and physically.
Eligible Fields of Study
A variety of fields of study are available: Please visit the official webpage of China Scholarship Council (CSC) for the available fields of study in selected Chinese universities: http://www.campuschina.org/universities/index.html
What the scholarship includes
The Government of the People's Republic of China offers:
- • Tuition waiver
- • Monthly stipends: CNY 3 000 for General Scholars, or CNY 3 500 for Senior Scholars to cover meals and living allowance
- • Accommodation that is, free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy
- • Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China
- • One round-trip international travel to and from China.
- • Monthly living allowance of US$ 80
- • Termination allowance to the value of US$ 200 to cover excess luggage charges at the time of return to home country
No allowance will be provided for financing or lodging any spouse or dependent of the fellows.
Application processApplicants require endorsement from the South African National Commission for UNESCO. All application supporting documents should be emailed to: Mafale.firstname.lastname@example.org with a request for endorsement. Only applications endorsed by the relevant Government body (the National Commission for UNESCO) will be accepted by UNESCO. Upon receipt of the endorsement by the National Commissions for UNESCO of their home countries, eligible applicants must submit their applications online at: http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina/noticeen.html by 9 April 2018 with the mandatory supporting documents.
Applications are due on 9 April 2018.
Documents and links• UNESCO/PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (THE GREAT WALL) CO-SPONSORED FELLOWSHIPS PROGRAMME 2018-19 • Instructions of the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.