- Tel: +27 (0) 12 312 5372
GERMANY: Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance 2023
International Scholarships Hits: 3783
The call for applications for the Helmut Schmidt Programme for Master's Programmes 2023 is currently open.
In the Helmut Schmidt Programme, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards scholarships for preselected Master’s degrees offered at German universities in public policy, governance and development. The aim of the programme is to further qualify future leaders from the areas of politics, law, business and administration based on the principles of good governance, and to prepare them for their future professional activities in a practice-oriented manner.
Highly qualified graduates who have obtained a first higher education degree are offered the opportunity to obtain a master's degree in subjects that are particularly significant with regard to social, political and economic development in their countries of origin.
More information on the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance can be found at https://static.daad.de/media/daad_de/pdfs_nicht_barrierefrei/in-deutschland-studieren-forschen-lehren/ausschreibung_helmut-schmidt-programm_en.pdf
The application period at all eight participating universities lasts from 1 June 2022 to 31 July 2022.
The participating universities are:
Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg - Master of Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems
Universität Duisburg-Essen - Master of Development and Governance
University Of Erfurt - Master of Public Policy (MPP)
Universität Magdeburg - Peace and Conflict Studies
University of Applied Science Osnabrück - Master of Management in Nonprofit-Organisation
Universität Passau - Development Studies
Universität Passau - Master of Governance and Public Policy
Universität Potsdam - Master of Public Management (MPM)
The final selection will be made by a selection committee in October/November 2022.
Fields of Study
The scholarship programme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics, public policy and administration.
There must be a specific focus on the following topics in the master’s degree courses: public policy, good governance, international relations, public management, public administration, geogovernance, peace and conflict studies, development, and socioeconomic policies.
Who Can Apply?
- The programme is open to highly qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries;
- It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals;
- Candidates’ most recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years prior to the application for the scholarship;
- Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline are not considered eligible;
- All Master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants.
- Tuition fees waiver;
- Scholarship of monthly 931€ for selected MA programmes at German institutions of higher education;
- Contributions to health insurance in Germany;
- Appropriate travel allowance;
- Study and research grant 460€;
- Monthly rent subsidy where applicable;
- Allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable;
- A six-month German language course in Germany prior to the course, lasting up to 6 months. Participation is mandatory.
In addition, scholarship holders are offered special tutorials at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, the scholars are invited to participate at different networking events.
Candidates can apply for up to two preselected Master’s degrees in the scholarship programme. Candidates apply directly to the preselected German universities of their choice in the programme. Application procedure varies according to the university. Check out the documents and links below for more information.
Applications must be submitted in German or English. Please indicate clearly that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance).
- Fill in the DAAD Application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ only once and make clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority.
- Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice.
- Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanying required documents to the two universities of your choice. Do NOT send it to DAAD.
The DAAD Information Centre Johannesburg can be contacted for support, advice and information:
Or the eight universities in charge of the master´s programme listed below:
Contact: Ms. Kerstin Schickendanz
Contact: Dr. Georg Lammich
University of Erfurt:
Contact: Mr. Florian Heintze
Otto von Guericke Universität Magdeburg:
Contact: Prof. Alexander Spencer
University of Applied Sciences Osnabrück:
Contact: Ms. Marlene Eimterbäumer
Universität Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
Contact: Mr. Thomas Eibl
Universität Passau: Development Studies
Contact: Ms Regina Treipl
Contact: Ms. Laura Hecht
Documents and links
- Current Announcement
- Application form
- List of countries
- Frequently asked questions
- Information about the Master Courses
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.