GERMANY: Bilateral Exchange of Academics

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards funding for a research stay of 14 days to 3 months at any Germany university to university lecturers, experienced academics, or scientists who are active in university and research spaces in their home country. 

The programme funds exchanges between scientists and researchers from Germany and partner countries. In the implementation of the bilateral programme, care is taken to ensure equal exchanges in both directions.

Detailed information about the Bilateral Exchange of Academics can be found at: Bilateral Exchange of Academics

Degree Level

Research Grants


Applications can be made at any time but at least 3 months prior to the planned research stay.

Who can apply?

Fields of Study

The research grant can be taken up for all fields.

Scholarship Benefits

Your research stay should last at least 14 days up to a maximum of three months. Please indicate in your application form how long you wish to receive funding. 

The scholarship covers living costs and travel for the grant holder.

              - 2000 EUR for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers;

              - 2150 EUR for professors.

Please note: Health insurance coverage is mandatory in Germany. If you do not have a corresponding home health insurance, you will be insured by the DAAD. The costs will be deducted from the scholarship payment.

Application Process

The DAAD funding application is online through the DAAD application portal. For more information, see the notes on applying on the portal.

Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:


The DAAD Information Centre Johannesburg can be contacted for support, advice and information:


Documents and Links

Doing a PhD and Research in Germany

Research in Germany

GERiT – German Research Institutions

Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants


Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programmes and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognised in South Africa by contacting the South African Qualifications Authority and the relevant professional bodies. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.